Couple Face Up To 20 Years Each After Gender Reveal Sparked Deadly Wildfire


A couple whose gender reveal ceremony sparked a Southern California wildfire that killed a firefighter last year were charged with involuntary manslaughter.

A smoke bomb set off by the couple in Yucaipa, California, on September 5 as part of a gender reveal sparked a fire that went on to burn more than 22,000 acres across two counties, San Bernardino County District Attorney Jason Anderson said during a news conference.

One firefighter was killed while battling the flames and two others were injured, according to Anderson. The fire destroyed several homes and burned more than 22,000 acres, his office said.

The charges included one felony count of involuntary manslaughter, along with other felony and misdemeanor counts related to the fire. The couple each face up to 20 years behind bars if convicted as charged. The couple both pleaded not guilty during their arraignments Tuesday. They were released on their own recognizance until their next scheduled court date in September, Anderson said.

Photo: Getty


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content